The industrial premises from the first half of the 19th century were declared a national technical monument in the autumn of 2000 and thanks to their uniqueness they also aspire to be placed in the UNE SCO world heritage index. The first blast furnace was put into operation here in 1836. Starting in 1893 the Hlubina Mine was an integral part of the whole production chain. The whole technology flow of coal mining, the coke-oven plant and iron production immediately concurred here.
The history of Michal Mine stretches back to 1843, when the Austrian Empire started to place two shafts in Michálkovice at Ostrava. One of them was the so-called Michálkovice shaft No 3 renamed Michal after the deceased c.k. court councillor Michael Laier. It is a particularly valuable authentic industrial area as to the building and technical aspects. The reconstruction completed in 1915, carried out according to the design of the eminent architect František Fiala, had a fundamental influence on the shape of the mine.
This building from 1980 has the third largest planetarium hall with a diameter of 12.5m and the second biggest projector in the Czech Republic. Stars, planets, comets and other cosmic objects are projected on the artificial sky in the hall for 100 visitors.
The shaft tower stands in the location of the original mine from 1846. The shaft tower and shaft building were built from fairfaced brickwork in 1913. In the neighbourhood there is a hotel-type house called Jindřich (Henry).
The deep black coal mine ended its activity in 1992; the 945m deep mining pit was filled in 1993 and the 775m deep return air shaft in 1994. The mine does not offer tours but you can see the stately above-ground structures – 2 mining towers, which have been declared cultural monuments, an old octagonal chimney, a boiler house and several other buildings.
The largest mining museum in the Czech Republic is located at the foot of Landek Hill, which is a world-renowned locality for geology, archeology, history, natural science and mining science. It has also become noted by the discovery of Landek´s Venus. It is the only slender Venus in Europe.
The first beer in the brewery Ostravar started to be bottled in spring of 1898. The brewery complex was built using the typical red bricks and combined with plastered surfaces. Ostravar produces two types of the same brand of beer – light beer Ostravar Original and light lager Ostravar Premium. In the brewery the famous special beer Velvet is also produced, and the semi-dark football lager Bazal.
The Vrbice Windy Pit was built in 1911 by Ferdinand Northern Railways and its representative face is oriented to the Ostrava – Bohumín Railroad, the former Ferdinand Northern Railways. An electric mining machine of AEG Union from 1916 is preserved in the machine plant. As far as its construction is concerned, it is one of the most remarkable mines of the Ostrava-Karviná coalfield and it has applied for its listing in the UNESCO World Heritage. Due to its interesting architectural character, the location is protected by the state as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic. At present OKD, DPB Paskov operates a degasifying station for exhausting mine gasses from underground at the Vrbice Mine.