Memorials and memorial plaques
In 2002, a memorial plaque to American pilots of a B-24 Liberator bomber that was attacked by German fighters and was shot down near the village of Vršovice was unveiled in front of the church. Four years later, the Raduň – Jakubčovice nature trail was opened. It commemorates the fight and the fall of the bomber.
This memorial plaque to 21 Czechoslovak tank men who fell during heavy fighting around the village is found in the local cemetery along the northern church wall.
This memorial was erected in 1980 near the place where, on 15 April 1945, Czechoslovak tank men first fought their way through upper Bohemia. The older memorial is from 1960.
In 2007, this new Victory Monument was unveiled in Janáčkovy sady Park. It includes a renovated 1980 memorial to a Red Army soldier and a large memorial plaque dedicated to Czechoslovak soldiers who largely contributed to fighting in the Ostrava region – the Opava Operation.
This memorial plaque is placed in front of Heliodor Píka’s birth house, a General in Memoriam. Similar plaque by academic sculptor Lukešová is placed on Opava’s town hall.
Ostrá hůrka Hill is located south of Háj ve Slezsku. Beginning in 1869, it became a site for mass meetings; the very first one was attended by 15,000 people from throughout Silesia. The granite memorial on Hůrka was unveiled in 1929 and earth from various First World War battlefields is deposited here. In 1938, the memorial was destroyed by Nazi soldiers. The renovated memorial was unveiled in 1969 on the hundredth anniversary of Hůrka. In 1993, a plaque commemorating Silesian prisoners of war was added. Artefacts containing earth from First and Second World War battlefields, execution places and concentration camps, including period documentation, were placed into a renovated sarcophagus in 2004.
The memorial will be open to the public after reconstruction in the spring of 2009. Its attractiveness and uniqueness rest especially in the fact that the exposition uses the latest trends in the organization of exhibits – modern information technologies and audio-visual systems which are supplemented by arranged scenes to closer remind us of the period of WWII.