Castles, chateaux and ruins
The castle ruins are located on the back of Cvilínský Hill, south-east of Krnov. Its thick walls, a deep well, a round tower and the moat have been preserved. The ruins are open all year round, free admission.
The first written record of Fürstenwalde is from 1348. The date of its destruction is unknown but it was probably in the 15th century in the course of Matthias Corvinus ´s campaign in Silesia. Outside walls and relics of foundations of internal buildings have been preserved up to the present.
Relics of two castles, which were built in the first half of the 13th century, are situated on the rocky spur. Closer to the brook there are hardly noticeable relics of the “Pustý Chateau“ (Deserted Chateau), higher up the slope are ruins of the masonry tower called Rabenštejn. This tower probably served only as a watchtower for the castle below.
It is situated in the remote parts of the Osoblaha Spur above the village of Bohušov. Once a significant manor house with an ingeniously built defence system, it was founded by Herbort of Fulm in the first half of the 13th century. At the end of the Thirty Years´ War the castle was destroyed by the Swedes and since then it has been in ruins. The surroundings of the ruin of the castle serves as a romantic pleasure resort.
The first mention of the majestic castle, sitting on a large rock promontory in the village of the same name, dates back to 1318. The castle was founded by lords of Sovinec, who belonged to the distinguished Moravian dynasty. It ranked among the defensive castles which guarded the road from the town of Olomouc to Silesia. During the occupation, French prisoners were kept here and their wall paintings have been preserved. As to adaptations from the 19th century, the building of the late-empire St. Augustine Church.
The representative chateau in baroque style from the second half of the 17th century is situated in the village of the same name not far from the Polish border. The Klein dynasty, who owned it from the 19th century, enriched the chateau park with a number of exotic wooded plants, especially from North America. At present there is a social institute for youth in the building and it is closed to the public.
Once the chateau and chateau park in Slezské Rudoltice was regarded as the seventh wonder of the world and the place was nicknamed Silesian Versailles. The chateau reached its greatest heyday during the reign of Albert of Hodice in the first half of the 18th century, when it was luxuriously furnished and adapted in rococo style. The most eminent persons of that time such as Prussian King Fridrich II or Voltaire could not miss the chateau festivals. Only a fragment is left from the original park.
In the Osoblaha spur there is a village with an interesting chateau, a former castle also called Děvice, Děvčice or Maidelberg. The original castle was probably founded by Opava´s Premyslid dynasty. In 1474 it was captured by the armies of Matthias Corvinus and ruined. In the 16th century a renaissance chateau, documenting the type of Northern Italian strongholds with turrets, was built in place of the castle. The chateau is closed to the public, a sight-seeing tour of the court is possible upon request.
In the village of Linhartovy at Město Albrechtice there is a remarkable late renaissance chateau from the 14th century. The appearance of the chateau, situated in the middle of the park, has been preserved since the beginning of the 18th century. In the park there is a memorable tree, a mountain oak, the age of which is estimated to be 850 years old. After reconstruction the castle is opened to the public.
Chateau Bruntál with arcade court, surrounded by an adjacent park, is among the greatest landmarks of the town of Bruntál. The history of the chateau stretches back to the second half of the 15th century, when the chateau was founded by lords from Vrbno. Later it was rebuilt into an opulent renaissance chateau in a non-traditional part-circular shape. The present appearance came with the late-baroque reconstruction, which, however, preserved the renaissance arcades in the court and clock tower. So a unique combination of renaissance and baroque styles was developed.